Today, Whitwell Station has been beautifully converted into a residential property with accompanying holiday homes yet at the same time, the current owners have faithfully kept the historical theme of the property almost to how it always was 100 years ago. Whitwell was the only station on the line to have a passing loop and two platforms. The main station buildings are on the up platform with a small waiting shelter on the down platform. There was a small goods yard and loading dock on the down side. The NG & SLR was taken over by the IWCR in 1913 but despite all efforts to attract passengers, the route to Ventnor by the Isle of Wight Railway was always more direct and more popular. After the Southern Railway takeover in 1923 economies were made and with the small amount of traffic the passing loop could no longer be justified and this was taken out of use in 1926 and the signal box was closed. The station was downgraded to ‘partially unstaffed’ (summer season only) on 16/03/1928 and further downgraded to an unstaffed halt and goods depot on 01/7/1941. Below are some images which will hopefully give the look, feel and ambience of what Whitwell Station has always been about…Isle of Wight Steam.